Illinois Solar Industry Data
The Solar Foundation
- Illinois ranks 19th in the nation in total solar employment with 2,100.
- Ranks 34th in the nation in solar resource at 4.63 kWh/m2/day.
- Ranks 19th in the nation in number of solar powered homes with around 6241 homes.
For additional data refer to The Solar Foundation Illinois page.
Illinois State University Center for Renewable Energy
Economic Impact Potential of Solar Photovoltaics in Illinois
Authored by: David Loomis, Jin Jo, and Matt Aldeman
The study seeks to examine jobs and total economic impact of solar installation in Illinois.
- Within the results it is concluded that about 2 GW of solar installation would provide around 26,000 jobs and 11 GW would provide about 131,000 construction phase jobs.
- With the addition of 2 GW around 1,200 operation and maintenance jobs would be created.
General information from the report
- There are three utility scale solar farms in operation in Illinois.
10 MW Exelon City Solar in Chicago.
20 MW Grand Ridge Solar Farm near Streator.
3 MW Rockford Solar Farm near Chicago-Rockford International Airport.
Technical Potential for Solar Photovoltaics in Illinois (May 2013)
Authored by: Jin Jo, David Loomis, and Matt Aldeman
The report investigates the optimum installed capacity of Illinois grid connected solar PV systems.
- It is determined that at the current 6% carve-out is less that what would be needed for 100% of the electricity produced to be utilized.
- If the optimal level of PV was defined as the point where 100% of electricity generated is utilized the RPS carve-out needs to increase to 7.3%
- This would meet about 1.8% of Illinois' electric load.
- If the electricity produced by PV was allowed to be restricted at the same rate which conventional thermal plants use electricity for internal operation at 5.6%, the RPS carve-out could be increased to 29.8%.
- At this rate solar would produce about 7.5% of Illinois' electric load.
Solar Energy Industries Association 2012 Data
- In 2012 there were more than 189 solar companies at work in Illinois who employing 1,700.
- Illinois installed 30 mw of solar electricity capacity, ranking 13th nationally in 2012.
- In 2012, Illinois ranked 13th nationally in solar capacity installed.
- Illinois ranked 19th nationally in cumulative installed solar capacity. There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 6,200 homes.
- $27 million was invested in Illinois to install solar on homes and businesses. This represents a 259% increase over the previous year.
- Average installed residential and commercial photovoltaic system prices in Illinois fell by 35% from 2011. National prices also dropped by 33% since 2010.
For more information visit the SEIA Illinois Solar page.
Back to Additional Resources