Before any installation can be made a site assessment must be completed. This site assessment will
performed by the solar installer prior to installation, but site assessments are also offered by
third parties. Illinois Solar Energy Association will soon be one of the third parties offering solar site assessments
Process of Site Assessment
- A Solar Site Assessment consists of several steps.
- Energy Use Inspection
- Methods of increasing the home or buildings energy efficiency are identified.
- Completion of an analysis of the building or home energy load.
- Solar System Analysis
- Site assessment tools are used to determine available solar resource.
- The potential size of the solar array is determined.
- Locations for placement of the solar system are identified.
- The assessor will provide a cost estimate which is typically based on estimated energy production.
- The assessor will typically provide information on funding opportunities like grants/rebates/tax credits, and return on investment information.
Homeowner/Building Owner Site Assessment Tips
Next: Hiring a Contractor
Back to The Solar Installation Process