GREEN JOBS and OPPORTUNITIES
Do you have a green job opening that you would like ISEA to publicize?
If you have a position to fill, send a posting (including a brief description, contact information, qualifications, and application deadline) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: February, 2017
Job Opportunity with Environmental Defense Fund
Position: Manager, Clean Energy Regulatory Implementation, Chicago
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, founded in 1967, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Manager will work with the Clean Energy team in Chicago to conduct rigorous legal and technical analysis as the foundation for the clean-energy implementation project. The Manager will lead research and analysis associated with that project. Specifically, the Manager will work to ensure the IPA and ICC implement the Illinois Future Energy Jobs Bill effectively. The Manager reports to the Midwest director for Clean Energy.
- Law degree preferred with at least four or more years of utility-regulatory experience.
- Expert knowledge of utility regulation and energy policy
- Proven research, writing and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability in creative problem-solving and managing complex projects involving contractors and multiple partners within the public, private and NGO sectors.
- Clear ability to present complex and technical information clearly and comprehensively, both orally and in written form.
- Independently prepare cogent materials for key stakeholders that explain provisions of the Illinois Future Energy Jobs Bill.
- Educate those stakeholder groups about their opportunities to benefit from the legislation.
- Engage those groups to participate in rulemakings before the IPA and ICC.
- Analyze complex information and stakeholder perspectives in order to recommend creative means to advance clean energy in Illinois.
- Prepare detailed comments from EDF and its core partners as part of IPA and ICC proceedings.
- Independently conduct environmental, business, and market research and analysis to support the law’s implementation and evaluate new project ideas.
- Manage specific project tasks such as reaching out to potential partners, developing work plans and timetables, identifying and procuring necessary resources, and managing project work and deliverables.
- Communicate various project goals and results to Environmental Defense staff, companies, policymakers, environmental groups, the media and the public through reports, interviews, presentations, and other methods.
- Independently conduct research and analysis necessary to engage key external stakeholders to effectively implement the law’s clean-energy provisions.
- Communicate project results to EDF staff, corporate partners, businesses, the media and other stakeholders through reports, presentations, and other methods.
- Develop and apply appropriate means for measuring the success of the clean-energy implementation project.
- Be the legal and technical lead related to the clean-energy implementation project at EDF meetings, external events, etc. Be relied upon by the Chicago team as expert in utility regulation and policy implementation.
- Provide management and leadership to one or two interns.
- To learn more and apply, click here.
Job Opportunity with Borrego Solar
Position: Project Developer, Remote
Borrego Solar Systems, Inc. seeks a Sales Professional to develop solar projects in Illinois, targeting public-sector and private-sector markets, including F500, corporate portfolio accounts and institutions at the federal, state and municipal levels. We are seeking an experienced big ticket, long cycle, complex B2B sales closer to exceed sales quotas with integrity.
The primary purpose of this position is to drive bookings and revenue growth in assigned geographical or industry vertical territories through establishing and maintaining key relationships with potential customers, project developers, financiers, and policy-makers. The candidate will be expected to be the primary regional expert in the company, and must either have or quickly develop fundamental market knowledge and the ability to create a successful plan to win new business. A strong applicant will be smart, articulate, motivated, creative, and organized, with the ability to learn the technical and financial details of our business quickly.
- Strong knowledge of the solar industry preferred
- Successful track record in a complex sales environment
- Self-motivated, independent professional with excellent communication skills, strong technical aptitude, and the ability to thrive under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups
- Ability to spend time in-person with customers and travel frequently in assigned territory (20-50% travel)
- Ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands
- Tenacious problem solver that can accurately assess, solve, implement, and communicate outcomes of complex challenges
- Familiarity with formal project management methodologies and ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings a plus
- Understanding of finance/business concepts (NPV, ROI, IRR, etc)
- MBA preferred
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Close PPA and turnkey EPC contracts for solar projects in excess of 250kW
- Meet or exceed annual sales targets (>$12MM)
- Develop projects from inception to executed contract
- Generate leads/opportunities primarily through independent activities including profiling, cold calls, business networking, etc.
- Quickly indentify key players and potential clients in the Target Market, filter and priorities "real" opportunities from others
- Gather market intelligence and expand relationships with appropriate government, regulatory, and utility officials to understand project approval process, electric rates, and regulations and incentives structures
- Analyze impact of changing regulatory environment and adjust strategy as necessary
- Work independently and with senior management team to develop and execute on strategic plans to win identified opportunities
- Work with Borrego PV Engineers and Finance teams to identify the most appropriate technical, material, and financial solutions to optimize system competitiveness and be able to clearlly present combined technical and financial solution to clients
- Generate proposals, quotes, and formal RFP responses
- Work with legal and executive teams to negotiate contract ters and close transactions
- Consult with clients, construction, and finance professionals in developing necessary financial models and assist with tax, financing, and regulatory related research and negotiations
- Lead project hand-off to operations team for closed business
- Represent Borrego Solar at marketing events
- Appropriately maintain pipeline reporting and deal activitity (Salesforce experience preferred)
To learn more and apply, click here.
Job Opportunity with Solar Service
Position: Electricians, Carpenters and Roofers
If you have electrical, carpentry or roofing skills and are looking for a new opportunity in a construction-
related industry that is growing rapidly, this may be the position you’ve been looking for. Solar Service
Inc., Illinois’ leading solar provider for over 30 years, is seeking installers for residential and commercial
solar energy systems. Installers in this position have the opportunity to work on all aspects of PV
installations. Previous solar installation experience is not required, but mechanical aptitude, attention
to detail, a good attitude, and willingness to learn and work with others are a must.
- Communication with the job foreman and project manager
- Pulling inventory for the job
- Layout and installation of PV racking systems and modules
- Electrical conduit installation and wiring
- Follow Solar Service and OSHA safety guidelines
- Clean up of jobsite
- Documentation of the installation
- Other duties as required
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs.
- Ability to work in extreme conditions (Roofs, cold, snow, sun, crawl spaces, attics, etc.)
- Willing and able to climb ladders, stairs, and work on rooftops and on feet for long periods of time
A background in electrical, carpentry, roofing or solar a plus
Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
American Solar Energy Society
ISEA Business Members
American Council On Renewable Energy
Environmental Law and Policy Center
Midwest Renewable Energy Association
Solar Energy industries Association Job Board
Solar Electric Power Association Job Board