Illinois Solar Industry Data
Solar Energy Industries Association 2016 Data
The Solar Foundation
- Illinois ranks 12th in the nation in total solar employment with 3,800.
- Ranks 33rd in the nation in solar resource at 4.42 kWh/m2/day.
- Ranks 18th in the nation in number of solar powered homes with around 22,090 homes.
Illinois State University Center for Renewable Energy
Economic Impact Potential of Solar Photovoltaics in Illinois
Authored by: David Loomis, Jin Jo, and Matt Aldeman
The study seeks to examine jobs and total economic impact of solar installation in Illinois.
- Within the results it is concluded that about 2 GW of solar installation would provide around 26,000 jobs and 11 GW would provide about 131,000 construction phase jobs.
- With the addition of 2 GW around 1,200 operation and maintenance jobs would be created.
General information from the report
- There are three utility scale solar farms in operation in Illinois.
10 MW Exelon City Solar in Chicago.
20 MW Grand Ridge Solar Farm near Streator.
3 MW Rockford Solar Farm near Chicago-Rockford International Airport.
Technical Potential for Solar Photovoltaics in Illinois (May 2013)
Authored by: Jin Jo, David Loomis, and Matt Aldeman
The report investigates the optimum installed capacity of Illinois grid connected solar PV systems.
- It is determined that at the current 6% carve-out is less that what would be needed for 100% of the electricity produced to be utilized.
- If the optimal level of PV was defined as the point where 100% of electricity generated is utilized the RPS carve-out needs to increase to 7.3%
- This would meet about 1.8% of Illinois' electric load.
- If the electricity produced by PV was allowed to be restricted at the same rate which conventional thermal plants use electricity for internal operation at 5.6%, the RPS carve-out could be increased to 29.8%.
- At this rate solar would produce about 7.5% of Illinois' electric load.